Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Experiences with Reading and Writing

Before this class I didn’t know what to expect. I had been out of the academic environment for 13 years. The only post high school learning environment I had been in, was a technical school I attended in 2002-03, studying in Computer Aided Drafting, which had nothing to do with developing my reading and writing skills. I was hoping this wasn’t going to be a class that we would have to read a book a week and do a report, similar to what I did in high school, I’m glad it isn’t. I was a little apprehensive at that beginning of this course because reading and writing weren’t my strong subjects in high school. Being a Non-Traditional student, my life experiences have paid off more than I ever thought they would. Apparently, being in a business environment on a daily basis and communicating professionally, I developed the skills I needed to be successful in this course. Over the past 8 weeks, I’ve developed my reading and writing skills that are going to benefit me for the rest of my life. Reading and writing are the two subjects that I struggled with as a teenager, during high school. That’s why I’m proud of the progress I’ve made during this course and I’m looking forward to improving my skills even more. The skills I’ve learned during this course have inspired me to finish a book that I started writing several years ago.        

1 comment:

  1. Hi Junior,

    I'm happy to hear about your strengths in this subject. I can tell that you have talent as a writer and I would encourage you to finish the book you set out to write years ago. I would be interested in looking at it or at least hearing about it. Sometimes, what we need is a brief break from HS. I would say that after having you and other nontraditional students, though not in all cases, that most take it seriously. I am happy that others like you have waited to come back, because of the responsibilities you have to yourself and your family.

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete