Friday, October 22, 2010

"Where College Fails Us" Question One Response


This is my second college experience. The first time, I attended Vatterott College getting a certificate in CAD, Computer Aided Drafting. At that time, I thought that is was the best thing for me, my family and my career. I had always liked to draw and lay things out has a kid, I figured Vatterott would give me skills I would need to get a job and start a career, in drafting. It did for a short term. After getting laid off or let go from my drafting job back in March, I decided it was time to go back and I changed my career ambitions. This time around, I’m going into the health and wellness industry, I’m hoping this will provide a career for me. I’m planning to graduate with a degree in Health and Exercise Science. The reason for the change is simple; over the past 5 years I’ve lost over 160 pounds and I’ve also been a certified personal trainer for the last 4 of that. I really enjoy working with people that are where I was and letting them know there is hope and weight loss can be done. I feel this degree will go hand and hand with being a personal trainer. I think that college is worth the time, the effort and the expense. The one thing I don’t agree with is, allowing kids that don’t really want to be here, stay here. They are not only wasting money and sometimes tax payer’s money, but they are also wasting the time of the teachers. If all you came to college for was to get away from your and learn how to drink, go do it somewhere else.     
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Junior,

    I'm happy that you are back in school this second time around if only you had not been laid off. At least you are fortunate enough not to have to worry about an outside career at this point. If only we did not have to worry about work. Long ago, we didn't have to. Now with the rising costs of rent/monthly payments, bills and miscellaneous (including education), we have to work.

    It seems like you are going into a career that you are now passionate about. What would you like to do with the degree you obtain from Missouri Western?

    Also, how does your experience relate to the essay? I would like for you to continue to share the personal narration, but also think about the readings that you do and how it relates to you and your life.

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading the essay again and giving your question some thought; I've come to this conclusion. Being a Non-Traditional Student here at MWSU, I have a different attitude about college. I'm here to get an education in a field where there is a need and want, in a society of obese people.
    I agree with Bird, so many students graduate with a generic degree of some kind, then they end up getting a job that their degree is irrelevant. Granted, their degree may have gotten them the job, but that doesn't mean they will use the skills from their degree for the job.

    ReplyDelete