Monday, September 27, 2010

Casa: A Partial Rememberence of a Puerto Rican Childhood Response

I think as a child in any specific race, you tend to spend time with the same gender and you. Cofer's stories are mainly women because that's who she spend most of her time with, the women of her family. According to the passage, the men where always working or they had run off with some one else. I'm not sure the boys of her family would have the same type of stories. Their stories would revolve around sporting events and/or male oriented activities. I think the older men of her family would tell the stories, similar to the way her grandmother tells them. It seems in majority of families the older generations tend to share their life experiences. It's almost a privilege to be able to sit down and listen to them. I know if my grandmother was a live I would want to sit down and visit with her for task two.    

3 comments:

  1. Hi Junior,

    What would you like to talk to your grandmother about? Can you recall any stories or cautionary tales your family members told?

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be interested to hear about the different national and international events she lived through. She was born in 1924 and lived until 2004, there was a lot of things that happened in those 80 years. She had to endure everything from the great depression, as a kid, to the attacks on 9/11 as an adult. According to my mom, I know my grandmother wasn't educated. I wonder if she had any aspirations to further her education. She survived and managed to be a wonderful grandmother with what she had and that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Junior,

    Just because she was educated school-wise, doesn't mean that she is uneducated so to speak. Many persons ascertain that to be educated that this pertains to school and this isn't always true.

    It would be interested to talk with her if you could. She has seen some very dramatic and traumatic times in this country.

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete