Wednesday, September 8, 2010

How It Feels to Be Colored Me Response...

What labels do you give yourself?


• After thinking a little bit about labeling myself, I’ve come to this conclusion. I have a number of labels that reflect who I am. I’m a husband, son, brother, family man, friend, student and a role model.

How does your self-identity function in your day-to-day life?

• I’m astonished by the number of labels/roles I have on a daily basis. They all function well together; at least they did before school started. It’s a daily struggle now, trying to balance all of them. The student label right now seems to be taking up majority of my time.

• As important as school is, I need to find a balance for all of them. Being a husband is the most important label I have. The day I decided to become a husband, I made a vow to love, cherish, comfort and support my wife, until death does us apart. She is allowing me to pursue my education and find a career that I’m going to enjoy and that’s going to take care of our wants and needs. I would be ignorant if I were to neglect my label/role as husband.

• Not that I would purposely neglect any of my labels. I think that some of them take priority over others. Take for instants, the son and brother label/role. My mom and sisters know that I love them with all of my heart and I would do anything for them. They understand I have several others labels/roles that take priority over being a son and brother. I do what I can, when I can. I just hope that’s enough. Right now it has to be.

• Being a role model/student on a daily basis is challenging, some days are better than others. While at MWSU, I try to set a good example for the other students. By saying thank you when someone holds the door for me and I try to hold the door for others. Some of my classmates have seen me in the fitness center. They don’t know my journey of weight loss, but they see me taking the proper steps to live a healthy life. It’s those little actions that never seem to be noticed, but are. As a non-traditional student I’m sure some of the younger students look up to me and the other non-traditional students. Whether they want to admit it or not.

Compare your concept of self with Hurston’s, as she expresses it in the essay.

• I agree in part with her concept. I have ideas and feelings, about myself, that can be both priceless and worthless. It’s those unique ideas and feelings that make me different from everyone else. Being different is a good thing. This spinning mud ball would be really boring if everyone was the same.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Junior,

    Thank you for your reply. You write,

    "Being a role model/student on a daily basis is challenging, some days are better than others. While at MWSU, I try to set a good example for the other students. By saying thank you when someone holds the door for me and I try to hold the door for others. Some of my classmates have seen me in the fitness center. They don’t know my journey of weight loss, but they see me taking the proper steps to live a healthy life. It’s those little actions that never seem to be noticed, but are. As a non-traditional student I’m sure some of the younger students look up to me and the other non-traditional students. Whether they want to admit it or not."

    I appreciate this response. Many do not know your story, although I do hope you will share it with them. Like you, many persons did not know/understand Hurston's view point. Understanding the timeframe in which she lives indicates much of how she was viewed and how she felt about slavery.

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete