Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Self Evaluation Task One

What is the thesis for your paper?
As an obese person in a society of super models and rock hard bodies it’s been a daily struggle of acceptance and one of humiliation at times.

List the main points you make in your paper.
As a child, I knew I was different from the other kids because of my weight. 

I also had to deal with additional body changes due to the excess weight I had been carrying for years. They weren’t very flattering changes either.

Football was one sport that I found enjoyment in.

In my early twenties is when my weight really started to balloon out of control. With no organized sports programs and being able to eat and drink whatever I wanted too, year after year I was buying larger clothes.  

Being that big, life truly sucked. I wasn’t able to do the simplest things like use a seat belt, fit into booths at restaurants or sit in normal sized chairs. 

As time went on, I was trying to find my place in society that didn’t want me. Society made it loud and clear about not accepting me.

As I flipped through the channels, I came across a new reality TV show. It was called “The Biggest Loser”. Little did I know the impact it was going to have on my life. It was a TV show about extremely over-weight people, just like me.  This was the first time as an adult I felt accepted by society. 

The next day, I woke up with a yearning to change.

The scale delivered a blow that I had been preparing for my entire life. Like a prize fighter preparing for the biggest fight of this life, I was ready for it. In big red numbers the scale screamed 451. 

Pound by pound I was getting my life back, a life that I never knew I was missing. 

Whether society has accepted me or not, I don’t care anymore. I’ve accepted who I am and that’s what really matters.        
 

What was the most helpful advice you received from your peer evaluation?
There wasn't a lot of advice that I received from my peer group.  

What was the most helpful information you received in class for your paper?
The most helpful information I received in class was understanding sentence fragments.

How many drafts of this paper do you think you wrote and how/when did you write them? For example, did you compose at the keyboard, did you write lots of notes to yourself, did you pre-write or outline, did you write in small chunks of time or sit down and produce an entire draft at one sitting?
I believe that I wrote 3 drafts all together. It was easier for me to do it in chunks.


What would you do differently with this paper to make it more effectively, or what did you try to do that you just don’t think you got a good handle on?
There's nothing that I would do differently. I feel I wrote a good paper.

What are most pleased with about this paper?
I feel that I did I good job putting this paper together. I stayed focus on the specific subject I was writing about.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Junior,

    You did a great job of incorporating supporting detail that mirrors your thesis. I am sorry to hear though that the peer group was not as helpful.

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete